Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Day 4: Let me just say this

For some people, TV is an enormous waste of time and a huge distraction. However, I find it a useful tool for thinking and writing, creating and exploring.

The internet and all its various playthings? Not so much, and I've learned the value of ignoring them, other than scheduled check-ins twice a day.

It's amazing how much work I get done when I use the TV as a creative tool. I turn it off when I am reading - as in quietly from a book, or loudly while editing one of my projects - and when I am rehearsing - as in a speech or a "let me hear how that truly sounds" moment.

The projects I am currently focusing on for this sabbatical are diverse and exciting, and I need a multitude of media to make it all work for me.

So, let me just say this to all those who consider TV an enormous waste of time ... there is a lot of junk out there, but if you plan your viewing to match what you are doing, you might surprise yourself - as I did - at not only how much you get done, but how well it works when you do turn the TV off.

No comments:

Post a Comment