Monday, August 31, 2009

Un-twittering

Yes, it's true. A short while ago, I shut down my twitter contributions.

I know some of you will be disappointed - thanks for staying tuned as long as you did. But I am temporarily bailing for practical reasons, and I thought I'd tell you about that.

A little while ago, I embarked on a sabbatical so I could completely focus on parts of my work that had been seriously neglected. Speaking and writing are my passions; I feel incomplete without them and want to give them a chance to shine again. As much as I love book editing, it had steered me a little off track, while, ironically, inadvertently convincing me that now was the right time to tap into those other parts of my persona - the chatty, quirky, fanciful remnants of a previous life - that have lain dormant for way too long.

And now, two months in, the only real issue is time, especially if I'm to meet my self-imposed deadline. A few too many peripheral things, external expectations and unnecessary complications meant that some things had to give, and twitter was one of them (even though it's only a modest 140 characters to convey in each contribution).

While I am sidelined, I will still watch but won't play, and when I come back, there will be more to offer anyone who wants to follow along.

In the meantime, there is this blog to keep you amused and intrigued. Blogging serves as an excellent vehicle for impromptu writing, especially if you think that someone is reading it, and provides an avenue to publicly stretch myself, even if they're not.

So, please keep doing your thing and I'll keep doing mine. When we cross paths again, we'll all be the better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment