Friday, August 14, 2009

So many books, so little time!

When I come back - not that I'm planning on going anywhere soon - I want to come back as a reader. To go to various locations - coffee shop, a train, mountaintop, favourite chair by the window - with a book - good or otherwise - and read. No interruptions, no distractions, no agenda other than to consume as many titles as possible in as many genres as is practical. I may need to be wealthy, or I may only need to be dedicated to the cause. Either way, as a book editor and a prorogued bibliophage, I feel compelled, called even, by the endless supply of books already published and those waiting to see the light of day. Pick me, they demand. Read me, they implore. Live here, they tempt. Wait for me, they beg. Alas, I am only now trying to make up for lost time, mocked by shelves overly stacked with countless fiction and non-fiction titles that document, explore and foretell the then, the now and the morrow, standing as testaments to my intent, as well as indicators of my failure to read faster, or sooner. In amongst the good, the bad and the ugly, of late I have discovered some gems - The Inkheart series, The Book of Negroes, Lord of the Rings, For the Term of His Natural Life, The Herasaga - and many other titles worthy of the declaration "a fantastic read". All strong, yet meagre contributions to the list of must read/have read books. Regrettably, I will likely go to my grave with too many books - good or otherwise - left unread, perhaps even some that would have guided me much earlier in my desired profession as a reader. Ah, so many books, so little time, but I'm working on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment