Wednesday, August 26, 2009

My biggest fan

Ah, in this modern age of technology, with all the communication tools at our disposal, it's easy to get trapped in the "what's wrong with me" cycle.

Got any followers for your blog? No.
Does anyone reply to your twitters? No.
Friends comment on your comments on Facebook? No.

Could make a person feel neglected, trivial, even boring.

From my experience, time, content and engagement seem to be the keys to success here, but ultimately, that depends on your measure of success and your original goal. Striving for popularity? Promoting yourself? Getting your message out? Letting others' messages in? Connecting with family? Casting a wider net? Wanting to be heard? Just because?

When I began blogging, twittering and facebooking, it was intended as a public outlet for spontaneous writing and quirky brain spurts, with a dash of curiosity on the side. That is still the course, but, I admit, lately I've let myself get trapped in the "what's wrong with me" cycle. Definitely a creativity killer, especially if I start down the "what should I be writing" road.

Positive action was required, so after spending too many hours checking to see who was 'following' me, I decided to cast off the blues and grays and sign up as my own biggest fan. Instantly lessened the pressure and allowed me to get back to what I originally set out to do - write.

If you're feeling a little neglected, trivial, or even boring, do what you can to break the cycle, stay the course, and free the creativity. Your fans will love you for it, no matter who they are!

PS If you would like to follow me, that would be great. If not, also great. I'll happily continue doing what I do with the ultimate goal being ... well, you'll have to stay tuned if you want to find out what that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment