Monday, January 9, 2012

Sweet resolve

Never been a fan of new year resolutions. My philosophy is if you need to change something, change it. Don't wait for some arbitrary resolution start date.

Of course, I speak from a position of resolution failure, having gone down that particular road a handful of times before and never stayed the course. As a result, my only resolve thus far has been to never resolve again.

So, it was quite the surprise when I accidentally made a resolution on January 1st this year, and even more of a surprise that one week later, I'm still on track.

It all began when, over a very busy two-week period trapped at my desk, I somehow embarked on a full-blown addiction to chocolate, as evidenced by an appointment with the food of the gods at 9:15 every weekday morning. (9:15? Go figure.)

I'd be working away, totally focused on the task at hand, when suddenly, I was out in the kitchen, breaking off a row or three of some delicious hazelnut or plain dairy milk Australian-made Cadbury chocolate, many blocks of which I picked up on my last trip down under.

When I finally realised what was happening, I stopped to wonder if I might be in trouble - or, more importantly, if my stash of chocolate was destined for the endangered supply list.

Clearly something had to be done, and lo, a resolution was made.

Motivated by the fact that I was already taking a break from coffee (the coffee maker up and died on Boxing Day and is still unreplaced) and sugar and half 'n half (both of which I only have in coffee), I made the difficult yet obvious resolution to refrain from consuming chocolate - but only from Monday to Friday. Even resoluters need a reprieve.

By the way, that time frame was inspired by my friend Miriam who is already leading the way by making desserts a weekend-only option. Good one, Miriam!

Now, this has nothing to do with counting the calories denied - I'm way too lazy to bother with that! But given the circumstances and the original source of my addiction, I think that by restricting chocolate, as well as dessert, half 'n half, sugar and coffee to the weekend only (even when the coffee maker is replaced), I might be onto a good thing - for me, my wallet, and my chocolate stash.

I'm still not a fan of resolutions, but I have to say that I like this one, which, with a bit of resolve, has the potential to stay the course for the long term and steer me clear of 300 gm (at least) of chocolate, 2+ desserts, 10 or more cups of coffee, approximately 250 ml of half 'n half, and 20 or more teaspoons of white sugar every week. Imagine what that will equal in a year from now.

And despite my current success, I'm not likely to start down the "must make new year resolutions" road. However, if I think of any others that will save me money, not hurt at all, not require a lot of sacrifice, and perhaps inspire others to follow suit with their own consumer challenge, then it's quite possible I might at least consider the possibility - although I suspect I will need some chocolate to help in that consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment