Thursday, July 14, 2011

Non-negotiable

When there are lots of things that have to get done, it can be difficult to come up with and stick to a plan to make it all happen. Enter the "to-do list", with its many variations, including my large, transportable "post-it note" list that is visible on a daily basis. Easy to create and stick to, regardless of what is going on.

Actually, making lists was never my problem; getting everything done was. I always got stuck identifying the order in which things on the list should get done. Obviously, not much thought went into making the list, and with so much on the list, doing it was almost impossible.

So, how to know what's important and what should get done first?

Some experts will tell you that you should tackle the big things first and leave the smaller, easier things to the end. But in my experience, some of those smaller, easier things are the important things, so it doesn't feel right to penalise them just because they are small. And what about my projects that are equally important but often supplanted in favour of income-earning options? I'm sure some expert has an opinion on those, as well.

To ease my daily conundrum, a wise sage introduced me to "non-negotiable". A new concept in my cluttered mind that made perfect sense and set my to-do list in perfect order.

Forget about individual items - instead, divide into negotiable and non-negotiable. The latter applies to those things that absolutely have to get done every day (with some Saturdays and all Sundays off for good behaviour), while others will get done if there's time. Might not make sense to you, but if you saw my list ....

So, to keep a long list short, speeches, writing, music, editing (4 hours max - hey, I gotta make some money!), reading, walking and healthy eating are all non-negotiable items, while everything else is negotiable. If I can't fit in all the negotiables after all the non-negotiables have been met, then, quite simply, there are too many negotiables on the list and something has to go. Can't put more hours in the day, and I need some down time alone and with family and friends, so ....

My list works brilliantly! And much more practical than re-listing items on a regular basis, agonizing over order, and chastising myself for not crossing particular things off on any particular day. This way, I simply make one list, stick it up somewhere, and check in every day to make sure the non-negotiables have been met. And there is the side benefit of being able to say a guilt-free "No" to new commitments when the list is full and I can't take on anything else.

What is non-negotiable on your list? Once you identify it, it will never be supplanted again.

No comments:

Post a Comment