Saturday, July 2, 2011

I am a Gilmore girl!

I love watching tv, especially shows with compelling characters, extraordinary actors, riveting storylines and thought-provoking content, and that mirror life in every possible way.

These days, the attraction is mostly a collection of sci-fi, supernatural, fantasy and horror - Supernatural, Buffy, Stargate (x3), Being Human, Doctor Who, Sanctuary, LOTR and Harry Potter. Who doesn't relish the idea of living in a far off galaxy, travelling to a different time, working side by side with legendary creatures, or existing in an alternate universe?!

However, I must say that the Gilmore girls is a fabulous "none of the above" addition to my viewing schedule that is top of my "must re-watch regularly" list.

Watching the Gilmore girls is like witnessing events and circumstances from my own life on the small screen. No details here, but if you know me, you can guess some of it, and if you watch, you'll fill in the blanks.

I love the abundantly worded scripts that add stacks of energy to the interactions. The pop culture references that I totally get. The scriptwriting clues I pick up and use in current projects. The quirky little town that reminds me of somewhere I'd love to live. Luke's Diner ... well, because it's Luke's. And the realisation that part of me is very Lorelai/Rory while part of me is very Emily.

The Lorelai/Rory part I recognised from day one. It's a side of me that doesn't get out as much these days, but reappears every now and then, especially while I work and when I consider my life. I talk like them, clearly think like them, and drink coffee like them ... and, by the way, that began way before Amy Sherman-Palladino - show creator - even crafted the idea in her mind.

However, it was the Emily part that caught me by surprise when I was re-watching Season 1. Of course, only a tiny part of me is Emily - the 'missing out on when she was growing up' part. You might have to know or watch the show to get this, but in a nutshell, Emily was lamenting the fact that Rory (her granddaughter) had grown up without her being there. That Emily wasn't at Rory's birthday parties, first day of school, end of year plays, yarda yarda yarda, was understandably disappointing and fueled a lot of angst throughout the entire show. Sadly, efforts to make up for that loss did not always have the desired effect.

Emily's lament made me pout. I'd been having those exact same thoughts of late concerning my nieces and nephews in Oz. You see, I left when the youngest - third of five - was only 10 weeks old. So, other than whatever I could dose up on at multiple visits over the past 16 years, I've missed way too much of their lives. Birthday parties, first days at school, end of year plays, boyfriends and girlfriends, and oh, so much more.

If my life was a sci-fi show, I could go back in time and perhaps do things differently, or at least reassure myself that in some alternate universe I hadn't actually missed a thing. Unfortunately, all I can do now is remind them that I'm there for them ... well, here for them ... and only a day away. "All you have to do is call my name and I'll be there on the next plane ..." or "train", as Carole King sang.

My biggest fear is that they will move on to a phase of their lives where they don't need their auntie so much any more. That would be very disappointing indeed.

So, to guard against that, I've taken a leaf out of Emily's book and set up some regular rendezvous for getting together. Dinner every Friday night is virtually possible on FaceBook, and annual visits, regular phone calls, and the odd letter or two also play a role in opening a small window into their lives. It's not the same as being there, but it's kept us connected, nonetheless.

In lieu of a TARDIS, a stargate or a teleportation spell, I'm happy to stay a Gilmore girl. Nutty, witty, funny, unpredictable, quite the character and kinda cool ... which, as my nieces and nephews have told me, is why they love me as much as they do.

Regardless of the genre, tv shows draw us in when they are compelling, extraordinary, riveting and thought provoking, and especially when they mirror life in every possible way. If they happen to mirror your life, well, that a bonus, especially if you pick up any tips, or come to know and understand yourself better than you ever expected.

Thanks, girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment