Thursday, October 21, 2010

Beyond our control

Ever have one of those days when you feel everything is beyond your control?

Today, I tried to get a new doctor for reasons that I probably shouldn't discuss here. Anyway, went to one that a friend suggested in hopes that I would be successful. The receptionist said they weren’t taking any new patients, they already have 400 people on their waiting list, one of the criteria to even get on that list is that you don’t already have a doctor, and there is an international shortage of doctors worldwide. (I think that last one was to stop me asking questions!)

Yes, there is a doctors’ hotline I can try, but it might be a problem since technically I already have a doctor. Sigh!

I remember the days when you could go to the doctor of your choice, partly because there were lots from which to choose and not so many people going to each one. Now, you have to get on a list - even if you're sick or in pain or worried and really need to see someone. Yes, there are emergency departments at hospitals and walk-in clinics, but nothing quite beats your own doctor whom you trust and respect.

Too often things happen that are beyond our control. It's frustrating and annoying, and, try as we might, frequently without resolution or fixing. There is, however, always a choice - to look at the situation differently, to see a way round, to accept as is, and to stand up and fight. At the end of the day, it depends on how much time and energy you have, and how important it is to win.

I need a new doctor, and it's in my best interests to keep going till I find one. The choice to keep trying - now that's something I can control!

No comments:

Post a Comment