Friday, July 16, 2010

Back to basics

Is it possible? Have I done it? Am I fixed?

Now, I don't want to tempt fate here, but I think I might have done something wonderful to heal my somewhat aching back. And it was oh, so simple.

Over the last while, my back hasn't been quite right. I thought it was worn-out discs perhaps, or sitting slumped at my desk, or walking all tensed up, bad posture, or simply old age.

So, I began to pay attention to when things hurt, and consulted a multitude of books and "experts", implementing various stretching, walking and exercising regimes, sitting up straighter, adjusting my chair, and changing the usual place I sit on the sofa while watching TV.

A little bit of difference, but not so much that I felt fixed.

Until I started to bend.

An almost overlooked notion in one article that said when you pick up something, don't bend over at the waist; bend at your knees instead and stop putting so much pressure on your lower back.

Indeed, I have to say that at first, I thought the notion was silly, until I realised that bending over at the waist was exactly when my back hurt the most - at the point I straightened up and for a few minutes after the fact.

Bending at the knees wasn't all that comfy either, but the article said to persist because it will strengthen my knees, take the pressure off my back, and was a good habit to adopt.

And adopt it I did - on a trial basis for a week. And hip-hip-hooray - no more lower back pain. None. Narda. Zilch! As well, my knees and legs do feel much stronger and a lot happier, so yeah!

Okay, maybe it was a combination of everything else I tried and this was simply the icing on the cake, but as far as my back's concerned, it worked. Bending at the knees is definitely a habit I've adopted for life.

And I'm also looking at other areas of my health and well being that could benefit from getting back to basics. When all else fails, it's a good start to fixing what ails you.

PS Unfortunately, I didn’t save the article in question; only took what I needed and applied to my situation. But I have found since that many back health disciplines prescribe this particular notion to protect the lower back. Look and ye shall find what works best for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment