Monday, February 13, 2012

TEDx-cellence in Manitoba

That I was invited to attend TEDx Manitoba was a big and thrilling surprise!

Of course I'd heard about TED - lots of friends and colleagues have been fans for years - and I'd watched many of the videos and been motivated by the ideas. However, the possibility of attending an event did not seem, well, possible.

So, when I found out that TEDx Manitoba was coming here on Thursday February 9, and that three people I knew - Brad Tyler-West, Getty Stewart, and David Zinger - were speaking, I thought, 'What if?'

I had to be part of that audience. And one online application later, I was up for consideration.

To be honest, the process of applying was so much more than responding to a few questions. It gave me time to think, to consider my ideas, to figure out what really inspired me, and to look deep and find the keys to who I am now and how I got here. It also confirmed that I wanted to attend TEDx for many more reasons than simply bearing witness to the three people I knew.

In the days between getting the official invite and attending the event opener, I thought about how to approach the entire experience.

Given the credentials and celebrity of all the speakers, it would be easy to become overwhelmed by their success. So, I made the decision to attend the event without guilt or remorse for my own unrealised ideas and projects. I chose to listen and be inspired without comparing myself or judging myself for not being as creative or as productive, or, as I had hoped would be the case by now, as known as all those on stage.

Not that I haven't had successful ideas and projects, or proven to be creative and productive, or even known in some circles, but I was in the audience and not on the stage. I wondered if that would affect what I got from the experience.

Given my perched perspective of the proceedings, I then opted to assume, and react as if, each person on stage was talking directly to me, as if the two of us were in deep, focused conversation. It made me feel connected - to the speaker, yes, but more so to the idea, the process, the story behind it all, the possibility, and the impact.

So, what did TEDx Manitoba do for me:
- it made me realise I know more than I thought I did
- it helped me identify my 'x' - a few of them, actually
- it confirmed that I have been on the right track all along
- it connected me with a lot of thinkers and doers, each of whom gave me something of value
- it loaded me up with ideas for projects, speeches, blogs and opportunities
- it provided new links and information avenues
- it amazed and inspired, shared and encouraged, promised and delivered, and yes, even brought me to my feet on two occasions
- it had me wondering, "What if ...?"

My guess is that every person in that room on Thursday approached and then walked away from TEDx Manitoba with something unique. Certainly, they'll be motivated to aim higher or differently, or to continue down the path they are already on. And I suspect they'll also reflect on the inspiring speakers, the passionate organisers, the outstanding volunteers, the smooth running of events, the superb location, the fabulous food, and the idea of a repeat performance in 2013!

For sure, I'll be vying for an invite next year. But for now, it's back to bringing my own projects into the light of day and drawing all manner of inspiration from all and sundry on TED stages everywhere.

What a day! Thanks, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment