Monday, December 19, 2011

Why I love winter

In case you were wondering ....

It 'fit's in with my lifestyle. Plenty of opportunity to shovel and sweep, scrape the windscreens, walk in a wonderland, and stave off the results of too much eating, slothing and lounging.

It makes me feel more charitable. I think of those who find it more difficult to navigate the ice and the snow and the very chilly conditions. I think I'm actually nicer to people this time of year, and that sets the tone for the rest of the year.

It cleans everything up. Junk and rubbish left lying around, doggie poo that owners won't clean up, derelict in all its multiple forms, and people who should have curfews are somehow invisible, or white, and we forget about them - for a while, at least.

The clothes are amazing! Stylish coats, colourful toques, toasty-warm gloves, gorgeous boots, long comfy scarves, thick jumpers (sweaters), long skirts and fabulous pants. I'd wear them all year round if I could.

There's always the chance of a snow day. I've only ever been snowed-in once - and I chose to go outside to video and photograph the blizzard. Duh! Pining for a day or three when I can stay inside and do nothing except read, watch and relax.

Family back home think I'm nuts - but now they have a new reason. Well, it is hard for them to consider minus 30, or indeed minus anything, as fun and enjoyable when they are used to plus double digits for most of their year.

It makes me less homesick. It's the only season I don't experience back home, unless I head to the Snowy Mountains in August, so I know I am away from family and friends, and I'm somehow okay with that. Not so much in spring, summer and fall.

If there's enough of it often enough, then re-meeting neighbours in the spring is a wonderful surprise! Enough said.

It means Christmas is either coming or going. Personally, I like both. The anticipation and the festivities are thrilling, the opportunity to share good wishes with family and friends here and there is heartwarming, and the lamb roast on Christmas day is worth surviving all that rush. On the other side, the slower pace is appreciated, the return to work is welcome 'cause I got some interesting stuff on the go and am keen to get back to it, and the knowledge that there are at least three months of winter to go is exciting and exhilarating.

I get to say thanks ... to each and every one of you for so many reasons. Being my friend, my family, my colleague, my neighbour, my mentor, my partner, my sounding board, my whatever I need when I need it. You for me, and me for you. It works both ways, you know.

And with that, I wish a very merry Christmas to you and yours, safe travels wherever you may go, and all the very best for the new year.

And here's to winter in all its glory for as long as it deems us worthy of its blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment