Friday, December 2, 2011

Why I eat my lunch out of a saucepan

For starters, let's confirm a few things. It's porridge, or more precisely, porridge with banana. And yes, it is lunch, not breakfast, although, to be honest, I could eat porridge any time of the day or night, especially if it has banana in it. And not simply on the top, but cooked right along with the porridge. Got that idea while dining at Stella's in Winnipeg - they used to put the banana on the side, but now it's cooked in and, I have to say, is stunningly delicious!

But I digress.

So, why do I eat my lunch out of a saucepan?

1. Easy peasy. Thirty seconds to gather tools and ingredients, three minutes to cook. And if I can do it, anyone can.

2. Less washing up. The saucepan is the only item of note, other than the measuring spoon (which technically only needs to be rinsed) and the eating spoon (which definitely needs to be scrubbed clean for the benefit of future users).

3. Consistent temperature. If you pour porridge from a warm saucepan into a cold bowl, you end up with 'Mama Bear temperature' porridge. And if it's not good enough for Goldilocks, it's not good enough for me. This method guarantees Baby Bear temperature.

4. Time on a budget. Quick and easy to go from stove top to couch, which is where I usually eat my lunch.

5. Budget on a budget. Banana $0.40, milk $0.12, porridge $0.07, water $0.01, satisfaction of a meal well cooked ... priceless!

6. Left hand knows what the right hand is doing. The left hand always holds the saucepan handle, leaving the right hand to operate the stirring spoon, the remote, and the eating spoon - in whatever order is required.

7. Virtually spill proof. Medium-size saucepan, enough porridge for one. So unless I trip on the way in, there is no danger of spillage en route from kitchen to living room. However, from saucepan to mouth is a different matter entirely.

8. High "Mmmm!" factor. Nothing more needs to be said - or added.

No, I'm not the only person in the world who eats out of a saucepan, nor the only one in our house. But I can tell you that once you go down that proverbial road, you, too, will be hooked on the perfect combination of fast, easy, cheap and delicious.

And that, my friends, is why I eat my lunch out of a saucepan.

No comments:

Post a Comment