Monday, May 17, 2010

End of an era

News that the original Law and Order series has been cancelled after an incredible 20 years' run did nothing to make my day.

The initial shock has worn off, but the thought of no more Jack McCoy and crew still hangs heavy on my heart. I have grown to love those people, think of them as family, albeit in an weekly kind of way, and had forlorn hopes that the show would stay around until I became a golden girl.

Law and Order nights took priority over having a life, and even though recording was an option, I generally opted for the 'live' viewing, following the show as it jumped around, and staying true to the original, notwithstanding the relentless enticement of the spinoffs. From start to finish, the characters were great, the stories engaging, the formula gold.

That it didn't even get the courtesy of enough advance warning so it could wrap up with a concluding storyline, and that it wasn't allowed to fulfill its goal of going one more year than Gunsmoke, is certainly disappointing for me.

But you've gotta love Dick Wolf, whose simple response was, "Never complain, never explain." Classy!

Law and Order is almost single-handedly responsible for shaping and maintaining my freelance schedule. When I moved my office home so I could be here for my epileptic canine companion, I needed a reason to stay seated at my desk until a reasonable amount of time had passed. With Sydney sleeping soundly on the sofa, I found that I could work a solid six and a half hours with barely an interruption, as long as the reward was she and I sitting together and watching Law and Order while we had lunch.

When that was over, off we'd trot for a walk to clear our minds and ponder our afternoon - hers back on the sofa, mine back at my desk.

I doubt I would have been as successful as I was without my telegenic companion. Interesting then, that now I am pursuing a slightly new direction - still with the same schedule - Law and Order, as I know it, has taken a new direction of its own - to Los Angeles.

Tempting as it will be to tune in and check it out, I'm sorry to say that I feel such a connection with the original series, you'll probably find me instead staying tuned to the repeats at noon, enjoying the good old days with those I know and love.

See you there, Jack. And thanks for everything, Mr Wolf.

No comments:

Post a Comment