Wednesday, December 30, 2009

It's a start

Is it weird to peg a few 'resolutions' before the new year even begins? Fortunately, I think the beginning of anything is when we start it, rather than when it is more formally recognised. And if my year needs to start right here and now, then so be it.

A few things about resolutions. Firstly, I think most are too wordy, contain too many guidelines and instructions, and imply weakness if they are not fulfilled to the max. Secondly, that they are generally stated while under the influence - of alcohol, fireworks, guilt, or other people under the influence - significantly ramps up the "ain't gonna happen" likelihood. Thirdly, the word itself feels shallow, short term, and giddy - perhaps the result of too many frivolous references to it.

With all that in mind, I'm going to go for 'philosophies' that set me in good stead for the rest of my days, rather than 'resolutions' that may fade before they even get started.

And so, for what it's worth - and I doubt it's worth anything to anyone other than me - here goes ...

Work philosophy - honesty
Health philosophy - balance
Psychical philosophy - contentment
Life philosophy - joy

If that doesn't paint a strong enough picture for you, check out your thesaurus where all will be revealed.

Nothing earth shattering, but it's a start. Happy new year, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment