Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Staying on track

G'day fellow freelancers and home office folk! How's your day going? Getting lots of work done? Staying on top of the pile? Avoiding distractions like the phone, emails and blogging?

Me, too. Except for getting work done, staying on top of the pile, and, obviously, blogging. But that's okay; I think I've found a way to fix that.

For the last while, I've been hanging out in coffee shops to get stuff done. Hey, it worked for J. K. Rowling! And it works for me, except for two parts - the time it takes to get there and back, and the amount of coffee I drink while I'm there. Of course, part of the attraction is that there are people around, and although they're probably not watching me work, it feels a little as if they are, which is reason enough to keep me happily working away.

Today, however, I couldn't get to any of my favourite haunts and was finding it tough to stay focused and be productive. Until I remembered something my dad said way back: "Work as if someone is watching". Ooh! Now, that struck a chord. And, other than this blog entry - which, technically, is work since I am a writer and pen my posts in 20 minutes or less - I've stayed right on track.

So, if you're having trouble staying on your track today, try working as if someone is watching. It's as addictive as coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment