Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Time to start down a new road ...

When the business name renewal application came in the mail, I asked myself, do I really want to renew it?

"get it write." was my first business name, started way back in 1994 when I was a newcomer to Canada. I had the name long before I actually started the business - seemed a natural for a freelance editor and writer. And over the years, as my interests and pursuits evolved, I continued to hold onto the name for nostalgic reasons, even though it didn't completely represent everything that I was now doing.

Then when it accidentally lapsed in 2003, I quickly secured the name again before anyone else nabbed it. Yes, I was operating under a different business name, and yes, I was mostly focusing on book editing at the time, but it was tough to simply let it fold. It was, as I said, my first business name.

Unfortunately, it seems I was a bit late. Even though I could register the name in Manitoba (Canada), "get it write." already seemed to belong to a lot of other people - it was the name for an online service, a book, and several others were using it for their companies. It simply wasn't mine anymore.

Today, when the renewal application arrived, I was momentarily torn. And then it became clear. These past few months, I have been making changes, big changes in my work, and I think that it's time to let an old friend go. Time to distance myself from my past work and to look forward to the future. Time to start down a new road.

Stay tuned ...

No comments:

Post a Comment