Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Drive

It was a brisk start to the morning for my early drive to Steinbach yesterday. Honda, bless their little hearts, were finally installing the autostart for my new car - albeit a tad late for the chilly season. Still, as the service guy suggested, "Plenty of time to practise now for next winter." Yes, indeed. I was looking forward to the drive after a very busy weekend that didn't include any travelling afar whatsoever. And the car was in need of a distant run, after spending most of its life thus far tootling around the city. The sun wasn't long in the mostly dark cloudy sky, and the road was all but deserted - the benefit of driving early and against the traffic. I was in no hurry, and decided to enjoy the surrounds as they whizzed by at a slightly slower than others' expected speed of 100 kph. For the most part, people adapted, but as I discovered, not everyone appreciates or understands a driver travelling at less than 20% of the limit - even if they are correctly motoring in the curbside lane. There were some who looked sideways, as if expecting to see some reason for my snail's pace, comparatively speaking, or to glare in my direction and encourage me to put the pedal to the metal. Others drove right up behind me before suddenly veering left and overtaking - yeah, that works every time. Some sped past, presumably showing me how it's done, and the rest simply drove by as if I wasn't even there. For my Honda and I, we made it there and back again without stress or speed, and we got to take in all the visual joys of the country life. For those who seemed concerned or bemused about my decision to take my time, I suggest you try it on your next journey to wherever you are going. It's really quite fun and relaxing, and still gets you there on time - if you leave a tad bit earlier to compensate. And for those trying bullish tactics, better luck somewhere else. I used to be a master at tailgating, intimidating, gesticulating, cursing, glaring and swerving, but I've given all that up, so your efforts fell short. These days, I much prefer the slower pace so I can make the most of my drive in the country. PS This also works in city driving - which is something we can all appreciate!

No comments:

Post a Comment