Thursday, June 9, 2011

Reset

Ever have one of those days where you seem to follow one mishap with another?

Today was my day.

Got out of bed and stubbed my big toe - bugger! - on the door frame as I stumbled my way to breakfast. Spilled a glass of orange juice all over the table - and had to wash the tablecloth and placemats. Dropped a piece of toast on the floor. Burnt my lip on some too hot tea. Printed a 10-page document 20 times instead of a single page of that document 20 times. Shredded the wrong draft of a letter - twice! Misspoke in an email and confused a potential client - or at least she was 'potential' until she got the email. And made five attempts to type a four-letter word correctly - no, not one of those four-letter words (although I was thinking of some as I erred).

And all before 1:12 pm.

Days like that can be frustrating, to say the least. But occasionally they are a blessing. Reminders that things are perhaps a little out of control. That it's time to take a break. So, at 1:12 pm, I did exactly that - went for a walk and took in some Vitamin D, breathed and stretched, played the guitar for a bit, and finally got back down to work.

Kind of like a reset button.

And it worked wonders. No more hazardry behaviour, no more mishaps, no more swear-word-inducing moments. Only a sigh of relief that ferried the afternoon to conclusion.

Ah, much better. So much so, that I'm going to hit the reset button again tomorrow - BEFORE the mishaps get the better of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment