Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Drink up me hearties, yo ho!

I love movies. And I love movie reviews. I'm always interested to hear what other people think about ones I'm going to see and ones I might see. I don't spend too much time reading someone else's perspective on movies I'm not going to see. You simply can't see them all, right? So, there's got to be some way to keep the list manageable.

Personally, my favourite reviewer is Giles Hardie from the Sydney Morning Herald, and not only because he tackles a lot of Aussie films ... that unfortunately I don't get to see. Giles is plain language, to the point, explores the highs and lows, and employs just enough quirk to make even a bad film sound potentially watchable.

Even so, I try not to let reviews dictate whether or not I see a particular film - I like to make up my own mind. And for sure there are times when a review simply doesn't equate with my experience - anticipated or otherwise.

As a big fan of Jack Sparrow and his crazy antics on the high seas, I was, to say the least, aghast at Randall King's 1.5 star review of the latest installment of "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides". He spoke of "... lethargic, peg-legged pace, steady-paycheque performances, and a dearth of magic". Ouch!

Okay, so Randall's entitled to his opinion, but "senseless", "weird", "daffy" and "treads water"? Um, I don't know about you, but that's part of why I love the "Pirates" movies so much. They're movies about pirates, their silly and senseless behaviour, weird attire and daffy lines, and yes, they tread water in one way or another as they fight friend and foe, connive to steal and cheat, attempt to trick and deceive, find themselves in all sorts of situations that are plain ridiculous, and they trade allegiances like they were pieces of gold. Ooh, makes me giddy just to think about it!

Good review or not, movies are a great escape. And with so much junk going on in the world today, isn't it better to spend some time drifting "On Stranger Tides" and immersing oneself in some comedy or fantasy or action - or perhaps a combination of all three?

By the way, Randall is not the only one who doesn't like Pirates IV; there are lots and lots who aren't on board with the latest installment - although, in case you were wondering, Giles gave it 3.5 stars. :)

Still, I will not be swayed. For my money, Jack's my man. Makes me laugh, smile, and wish I was a pirate, or at least playing one in the fifth installment - which, judging by the first weekend's take of $256.3 million, there might just be.

"Drink up me hearties, yo ho!"

No comments:

Post a Comment